CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 29, 2008

restless


“You have made us for yourself, Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in you”.
Augustine

Hmmmm…this seems so appropriate in this season. I always look forward to Christmas…time spent with family, good food, time off from work, the giving and receiving of gifts. But, it seems as much I look forward to it, I always seem experience a mild depression, right after Christmas Eve. Maybe it is because our family gets together on Christmas Eve and then the kids have other commitments on Christmas Day. Maybe it’s because the expectations that have been set, either by myself or by my culture, never seem to measure up. Honestly, the last couple of days have been emotional for me. I have tried to put my finger on it but it seems elusive to me. I could come up with several theories but I couldn’t say for sure.
Reflecting on this quote has allowed me to consider another possibility. Maybe, just maybe, my focus has been on the wrong thing. Not there is anything wrong with wanting to be with my family or with wanting things to be a certain way but if that is where my focus lies, I will be restless.
I think it may be time for me to set aside some time to re-focus and allow my worth to be found in God…and only in God ….and all the rest will fall into its proper place.
If you found that Christmas was less than what you had hoped for, consider re-aligning your heart with God’s heart and see if you can sense His rest.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: