CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

content


“Be content with what you have, rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.”
~Lao Tzu

I am caught between two worlds. I’ve had the privilege of traveling overseas. I’ve been to 18 countries. And the majority of my travel has not been pleasure but missions….so I’ve seen some of the poorest areas in the world. I know that most of the world does not live the way we do. People live in small, cramped quarters. They lack clean water and adequate food….little to no medical attention, etc. I’ve seen places where people have put cardboard and corrugated metal together to make a room for their families.

I see it and it impacts me. I say that I will simplify when I get home, changing my way of living. Now, over the years, I have made changes. I’ve made decisions to simplify my life and try to live with less. But, even with those changes, I am still a product of my culture. It doesn’t seem to take long before I am sucked back into ‘wanting more’. Dissatisfaction settles in and I am filled with discontent.

I am still working through this dilemma. I am glad that my eyes are open and that I struggle between these two ‘realities. I can only pray that God will continue to speak to me about how He wants me to use what He has given me and share with others. I thank Him for the way He gently reminds me that I am being a ‘brat’, wanting what I want when most of the world doesn’t even have what they need.

God….never let me forget what I’ve seen, what I’ve experienced and keep my heart tender towards the world. Help me to be content with what I have, to rejoice in the way things are.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: