CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 25, 2008

birthright


“No man sells his birthright on the spot. He who sells his birthright sells it many times in his heart before he takes it openly as that to the market. He belittles it, and despises it, and cheapens it, at any rate to himself long before he sells it so cheaply to another. Everybody knew that Esau’s birthright was for sale, if anybody cared to bid for it. Isaac knew, Rebekah knew and Jacob knew; and Jacob had long been eyeing his brother for a fit opportunity.”
Alexander Whyte

Last week, I was reading the story of Esau and came across this quote. After reading it, I recalled the times in the past when I have walked away from the way God would want me to walk. As I think about those times, I realize that I walked away in my heart and mind long before I did in my actions.

If you remember this story out of Genesis 25-27, you will know that Esau sold his birthright for a bowl of stew . . . to meet his immediate desire for food. One author suggests that the stew was not the cause of Esau’s sensuality; it revealed it. His idol was his stomach and meeting that need superseded everything else.

This reminds me to pay attention to those things in my life I make into an idol…where do I get my satisfaction or my longings met? What motivates or drives me? If the answers are anything but God then I am in danger of ‘selling my birthright’. . . that is, trading meeting an immediate need for resting in God and knowing that only He can truly satisfy.

What drives you? What might your idol(s) be? I invite you to pay attention as it happens gradually. In your heart and in your mind, you begin to yield to it before you ever act on it. Take it to God and hold it before Him. Ask Him to open your heart to allow Him to be enough.

May you feel His presence.

May you sense His love.

May you rest only in Him.

Grace and peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Jan said...

Talking about "idols" makes me think of the quotes I just put on my blog--about prayer. I make myself into an idol (or my ego) when I worry HOW my prayer is, instead of looking to receive God's love.