CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, February 23, 2008

content


“Wherever I am, at home, in a hotel, in a train, plane or airport, I would not feel irritated, restless, and desirous of being somewhere else or doing something else. I would know that here and now is what counts and is important because it is God himself who wants me at this time and in this place.”
Henri Nouwen

What a wonderful way to look at life. Can you imagine stopping in the middle of whatever is happening and remembering that God in the midst of it…that you can rest in that fact? I think this speaks to Paul’s comments in Philippians about ‘being content in all circumstances’.

How well do you do this? For me, unfortunately, it depends on the day. For example, while away this past week, the facility, where I stayed, served food that was less than desirable. For the most part, I dealt with it but one night, they had ‘chocolate mousse’ on the menu. But, it was no where to be found. I must have mentioned that silly mousse about five times during the week. Not exactly the shining example of ‘contentedness.’

But, like you, I am on a journey. I can only hope that because of God’s work in my heart and my willingness to surrender myself to him, I will continue to grow in being content, no matter my circumstances.

May you, also, grow in dependence on him and be able to see him in every circumstance in which you find yourself.

Grace and peace,
Deb

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a great reminder, to be content in all circumstances... I think I may print this one out and hang it up on my fridge, in my car, any other highly visible place! This is the second time in 1 week where I have heard this exact message from 2 different people. I guess God is trying to tell me a little something! :)
Love,
Carol

Jan said...

Thanks for this good reminder.

I didn't mind not having chocolate mousse, but I so wanted to have an apple dumpling! Last year, I had my first and only apple dumpling, and nothing homemade was in sight at "that" facility. At least, I didn't over-indulge (too much).