CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

shackled


“Forgiveness is the key that can unshackle us from a past that will not rest in the grave of things over and done with. As long as our minds are captive to the memory of having been wronged, they are not free to wish for reconciliation.”

Lewis B. Smedes

When my daughter was in Jr High, she liked this boy. They talked on the phone (because she wasn’t allowed to date until she was 16) and they would see each other at sporting events. One particular day we went to see him participate in an event. He had invited her to come. Then, in front of her, he got cozy with another girl. I was furious. In fact, I think I lost my mind for a few minutes. She and I went out to get in the car and I told her to wait while I went back into the school to look for this guy. Why? Well, I envisioned myself taking a hold of him and putting him up against the lockers and telling him that I didn’t appreciate him being disrespectful to my child. God was watching over me and him that night because I couldn’t find him.

What does this story have to do with forgiveness? I cannot tell you how long it was before I could think of that episode and not get worked up over what had happened. Years. I had been able to more easily forgive much greater offences but for some reason, this one was hard to let go. It would come to mind every time I heard a message, heard a song or read, about forgiveness. In fact, my daughter moved past it much more quickly than I did. That incident was a part of me for a long time…longer than I care to admit. Not that I would have ever even said anything to him if I had seen him but I held it in my heart.

Unforgiveness does shackle us to whoever hurt us. We chose to remain shackled to them and only through the key of forgiveness can we be free.

Consider who in your life, God might be calling you to forgive. It may be for a huge offense…it may be for a careless slight. But listen to what He is saying to you and ask Him for the power to forgive. Ask Him for the key to freedom from your past. Just ask…….

Grace and peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always imagine that if someone hurts me, I have the right to hold on to that - to always tie them to the act that hurt me. And that I should - because they will never understand my hurt.

But the shackles image is so true! I am continually tied to that person until I let go. How much do the shackles make me feel better - getting revenge or taking back what was taken from me.
But how much do they NOT allow me to go on with life - to continue to experience God and follow Him. I just carry around this continual burden of hurt.

Lord, help me to let go...