CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

new creature



I had a conversation with a friend today. We talked about some really, really hard things in her past and how they are impacting her now. She has tried to just ‘forget it” and move on. But that never works in the long term.

I’ve had other friends who have struggled with similar issues. I think one of the hardest things is once one comes to Jesus they think He will take it all away…all the pain, all the memories, everything. I think it is that ‘new creature’ thing. Old creature yesterday, new creature today.

I know, from my own past experience, that continuing to carry pain from the past stole energy and joy from my life. It kept me from being who God wanted me to be. Obviously, I wanted God to just remove it, so I could get on with doing His will. What I realized was that there was beauty held within those ashes. I just couldn’t see it because I was so intent on pretending it wasn't there, pretending it wasn’t a problem for me. But my life circumstances would say something different. There was a lack of freedom, a lack of living life wholly.

I laid down my weapons and my armor and went in to counseling. I shared honestly about my childhood and I also shared about how I saw that past impacting my present and possibly, my future. It was a difficult process – like cleaning out a wound that had become infected, but the poison was coming out. And out in the open it wasn’t as toxic as it had been held inside. It lost its power over me and I found myself freed to become more of the woman, the wife and the mom God wanted me to be.

For those of you struggling with issues from the past, give yourself the gift of counseling to work through it. Jesus wants to meet you in the midst of your pain. He wants to show you that He can carry you through it…not around it but through it. It requires courage and trust. I invite you to experience that outrageous trust as you pursue new life…to discover that God is powerful enough to heal you…that you can be becoming a new creature through the process.

Grace and Peace,
Deb

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Deb
I feel the "becoming" a new creature is how God wants it to be... We want it to be instantly...even when God made the world it wasn't instant...
It is during the "becoming" that God's work is really shown, if we let it..like the butterfly the becoming is the cocoon...
thank you Deb for your daily words.

love
lisa

i_am_4given said...

I have to agree with Lisa, when we want change we want it instantly, and I believe this is because of the world that we live in today. But that makes me think, as followers of Christ, we are not to live in this world. And none of us like the trials that come to us in our lives, and it is always comforting to know that He will be there to carry us when we can no longer walk.

Anonymous said...

Even in the midst of our burdens we want that instant relief, but it is in dealing with the burdens and issues that we allow Christ to work in those areas. I agree that it can be a difficult process, but the freedom on the other side is priceless... and it gives us the opportunity to be filled with more of Christ by allowing Him into the deep, dark caverns of our past.