CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

dark water


Several years ago, my husband and I went to Puerto Vallarta with family. One of the things they wanted to do was to go snorkeling. I had never been snorkeling before. I had seen it on TV….beautiful, warm, blue-green waters through which you could see to the bottom, vibrant colored fish of every shape, size and hue, a window into a world I had only seen on Animal Planet. We boarded a catamaran and off we went. We got further and further away from shore. I looked over the side of the boat and saw dark blue dense-looking water. I thought to myself that they must be taking us to the "beautiful, warm, blue green water through which you could see to the bottom".

Several miles out we approached an outcropping of large rooks jutting out of the ocean. We dropped anchor and the boat captain said this was the place. I thought “The place for what?” Lunch? Because there was no beautiful, warm, blue-green waters through which you could see anything!!! Only dark, menacing, rough water that was …gasp…COLD! If there is anything I dislike more than dark, menacing, rough water…it’s COLD, dark, menacing, rough water. I wanted to go back to the hotel and lay in the sun. But, I wasn’t there, I was here. And my pride wouldn’t let me stay behind on the boat.

So, I suited up and in I went. After I working to catch my breath which had been sucked out of me by the COLD, I tried putting my face in the water. Big mistake. The rough waters went over my snorkel and then I really had to try and catch my breath! And, much to my disappointment, I couldn’t see more than a foot down into the water, which meant I was only seeing more dark water. They had told us there would be opportunity to see fish near the rocks, so in a ‘can-do’ way, I began to swim to the rocks. About 50 feet from the boat, I felt an intense burning in my leg. I was trying to figure out what it was, when it happened again. I finally realized I was being stung by a jellyfish! I couldn’t see anything because…well, you know why, and all I wanted to do was get back on that boat so I started swimming back. It was a very scary few minutes as I tried to get back to safety. The jellyfish continued to sting me and I was trying not to panic.

Why have I shared this story with you? I think because it reminds me of life sometimes. I can often feel as if I’m in dark, deep water and I am totally out of control. I have felt like something from the deep is coming up to harm me. As I feel panic rising, I try to go towards what I know to be safe.

What I want is to know that I am ok in the midst of the deep, dark water. I want to know that God is control when the waves kick up. I want to know He is still holding me when the ‘stings’ in life come my way. I ‘know’ that all of this is true but sometimes I forget. I don’t want to forget.

Are you swimming in dark waters? Are you fearful of what lies beneath the surface? Life oftens brings dark, cold waters and holds things that frighten and sting us. But, in the midst of the fear, remember that He loves you more than you can possibly imagine and He, ultimately, holds you and all that you experience.

Grace and Peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so timely for me. Right now there are just so many pressures and so many things going on a once. Each day I go back and forth between resting in the assurance that God is there, taking care of everything and wanting to just scream, "where are you and when will this stop!" I have to say that I feel a little pyschotic, but I just have to continue putting each moment, each care, each stressor, and each burden into God's hands while I remain focused on what He is calling me to do in the midst of it all! Thank you, Deb, for the reminder of His providence and care no matter the circumstances!