CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

love


“No account of Christian spirituality is complete if it fails to give a central place to love. God is love. He has poured this love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5). Offering us his love, he desires that we become like him - great lovers.”
David Benner

This is a hard quote for me. I use to think that the sign of a really spiritual person was how much scripture they had memorized. I am coming to believe the true sign of someone who loves Jesus and is devoted to him has less to do with what you know and everything to do with how you love. This is not good news for me. Why? Because I struggle with this.

It’s easy to love those I choose to love. Do you know what I mean? It is those people who I like. I am willing to give grace…I desire to work through things….I find a way because I want to maintain and grow these relationships.

But then there are people that are difficult for me to love…or even like. They may do things differently than I do, they may criticize, they may hurt people I love. When I begin to feel justified in my feelings about someone, I am brought back to what God calls me to and that is love. In fact, when I am in trying to make a decision between what I think I want to do or say and what I feel God wants me to do or say, I ask myself a question… “What would love do?” That makes it pretty simple. That doesn’t mean that there aren’t times when I need to say tough things to others or even put up some boundaries to protect my self and those I love from harmful people – but even in those times I need to do it in a way that honors God.

Do you have people in your life that you find hard to love? Do you think you’ve built up walls or justified reasons why it’s ok not to love? If so, I ask you to consider today what response God might be calling you to…consider asking the question – “What would love do?”

Grace and Peace,
Deb

1 comments:

i_am_4given said...

Deb,
This one today really touched me, because I know exactly what you are going through. I go through the same thing, myself. It is hard to love others when they have caused you pain. I really have to work on this one myself.

Thanks for the great message today!!