CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

body


You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.


Psalm 139:13-14 NLT


How beautiful are these verses! But how hard for us, as women, to believe. It is difficult for me to say that His workmanship is marvelous, especially when I think of my own body. It is rare that I am thrilled with my body. I spend too much time thinking about my flaws, about all the things I wish were different.

It is rare that I am grateful for my body...for the legs that take me up and down stairs. It is rare that I am thankful for my arms that allow me to lift my grandchildren to my face so I can kiss them. It is rare that I am thankful for my back which still bends and twists so I can exercise. Is it perfect? No…especially if you judge it by the world’s standards. But when I allow myself time to think of how complex, how intricate, how incredible the human body is, my body is, I am amazed.

I need to remind myself that God made my body. I need to be mindful of all the things it does for me and what it allows me to do. I need to focus less on what doesn’t ‘look’ the way I want it to but focus on how wonderfully it works. My measuring stick needs to be God's standard and not "Barbie's" standard.

Today, take a few moments to thank God for the wonderful way you are designed and for the unique way He created you. Be gentle with yourself…show love and gratitude for your body. Treat it with dignity because you are truly made in the image of God.

Peace,
Deb

3 comments:

i_am_4given said...

This is so true!! I am not happy with my body most of the time, but I shouldn't be that way. I can walk, where other's cannot, I can hug my children, where other's cannot. I need to be humbled more often than I have been, so this message today was good for me. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Deb. I really needed to hear it...

deb said...

Ladies,
Thank you so much for leaving your comments. I know this is a tough one for women. We are in this together..
Deb