CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 16, 2007

sabbath time


First, I apologize for not having a blog entry on Saturday. I was a little busy. I was with 6 incredible women, sharing a weekend set apart to spend time with God. We were looking at what ‘Sabbath’ time means.

Sabbath is not observing a list of rules and regulations. We talked about how it is a gift of time from God, time to rest, to reflect, to enjoy nature, to sleep, laugh and play. While we had sweet times of solitude, there was also great fellowship. We learned, we rested and we played (one evening, some of us were outside catching fireflies!)

Sabbath wasn’t given to us by God to be a boring time. It was given to us because God knows our limitations. He knows how we are made and He knows we need time away from all the stressors we deal with the other six days of the week. One author likens our incessant need to always be busy as trying
“ to be like God.” Ouch.

What I know for sure is that when I take time to ‘be’ with God, when I take time to rest, and play and spend intentional time with friends…when I take the time to practice the Sabbath, I am better able to notice God and His movement in my daily life because I have taken some time to slow down.

I invite you to spend some time reflecting on the Sabbath and what it might feel like to have some much needed rest and some special time with God.

Can you live without it? You can….but why would you want to?

Peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Pam said...

I was with Deb on the Sabbath time retreat and it was incredible!! I came home refreshed and equipped with tools to guide me in my Sabbath time with Jesus!
I'd go back tomorrow if I could. It was a sweet, relaxing time with God and other women. Deb does such a wonderful job helping everyone feel special and loved. The location was a beautiful farm house with a breathe taking view. It even comes with deer and fish in the pond. I highly recommend going on any retreat Deb offers.
Thanks Deb!