CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 7, 2007

scripture

I used to read the Bible and sometimes I was moved but more often than not I read it for information. Reading the Bible for information isn’t necessarily bad…it just isn’t the only way and it generally isn’t the way that brings about transformation.

Today I had the privilege of sitting with a group of women and teaching them a different method of interacting with scripture. It was a beautiful time as I was able to witness each of them encounter God in a different way. We took a short portion of scripture and allowed God to speak personally and intimately to us. Each heard something different, but each woman heard something profound, just for her. It was a moving experience.

I invite you to read a short Psalm today….read it slowly, a couple of times. Savor it, and allow God to speak to your heart. Pay attention to what He is stirring in you through a word or phrase you are reading. Sit with it for a while and let it sink in. Then, offer it back to Him in prayer. Let Him meet you there in the words.

Peace
Deb

2 comments:

Carol said...

I remember when I learned this first in soul shaping and I remember thinking that there was no way this was ever going to work for me. How was I ever going to hear God speak to me in the bible. I could barely understand it most of the time, could never memorize scripture (still can't)so how was I going to hear God? Yet, it happened. I still remember the passage, not word for word or anything, but I remember the message He spoke to me. This "method" has changed my life and how I read not only the bible, but other things as well. It has helped to realize that just being informed does not make me transformed.
Thanks again Deb for your awesome blog!
Love ya!
Carol

Anonymous said...

I don't know the method, but I often get caught up in just reading scripture as something to check off my to do list instead stilling my soul and listening for God! When I take that extra time, and really come into His presence, I am blown away by His perfect Love, Grace and amazing Wisdom. We, or I should say I, get so busy that I allow myself to miss out on precious moments with the Lord. Yet, He is always there waiting with whatever I need at that moment. Thank you, Deb and Carol, for slowing me down today and reminding me of God's desire for communion and relationship with me. ...Carmen