CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 1, 2007

prayer

Staying with the Prayer of Francis of Assisi for another day, I notice that it is a prayer of ‘asking’. But the asking isn’t for the ‘pray-er’ but for those the ‘pray-er’ is in relationship with. It is so counter cultural. It is asking for those things that, at least for me, I am unable to accomplish on my own.

To judge comes more naturally to me than to pardon. Doubt comes easily to me, faith I need to consciously relax into. Depending on my circumstances, despair often is my first response…hope is that thing that others who are more spiritual than I move right into. And so on.

I guess my point is that I tend to…or, may I say, I have tended to gravitate towards the darker side of my nature. But…with the help of the Holy Spirit, I find myself ‘wanting’ to pardon, having more faith, working to live in hope, trying to reflect light, expressing joy, being more consoling, more understanding and more loving. I am no where near doing this well, but my desire to do it well is the place I need to be, because the rest of it is in God’s hands. And when I rest in Him, I find myself choosing to live in way that honors Him and honors others.

What is He speaking to you about in this prayer? What one attribute is He wanting you to live into? How would that show itself in your life? Invite God into the process and allow Him to make those deep changes that need to occur.

Peace,
Deb

3 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Deb,
I have been reading and am encouraged by your posts everyday, thank you! I wanted to share this quote that I ran across yesterday..it follows along the same lines as your post today
"The biggest challenge I face in my longing to become who I am is to know and enjoy each member of the Trinity to such an extent that I can remain centered in them when I'm with others. When I'm centered in God, alive to the spirit's rhythm, aware of the Son's grace, and basking in the Father's love, I no longer fear anothers judgement. It can hurt, but it cannot destroy. It is then that I more fully discover my true self, and I'm empowered to enter relationships with true love" Author Larry Crabb. This quote comes from an article titled Misery Loves Company-What Im learning about my stuggles. I do have it in pdf format if anyone would like to read it.
Thanks again Deb, you are awesome!Feel free to check out my spot at Reflective Souls anytime!!

deb said...

Jane,
What a beatiful quote!!!! Thank you....I will post it tomorrow...if that's ok. Is that called 'stealing'???? Guess I need to go back and re-read the Prayer of Francis! :0) Although I don't think he addresses stealing in this particular prayer.....
Love, Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane,
I love the quote from Larry Crabb. He is a great Christian counselor. Every word he says is true. But a question that surfaced for me as I read this was, 'but what about when you can't do this'? It's impossible to do all the time, or we would be Christ. What about when the pain of the past, junk from the past, layers and layers of hurt, can't allow you to this. What about when the dark stuff is so thick, you can't fight through it? Like Deb said in her blog..she doesn't do all of those things well, but the desire is there to do it.
In Frederick Beuchner's book, "Telling Secrets", he tells of a story about Saint Brendan. In this story, Brendan encounters Gildas, a man with one leg. He writes,
"He (Gildas) was hopping sideways to reach for his stick in the corner when he lost his balance. He would have fallen in a heap if Brendan hadn't leapt forward and caught him.
"I'm as crippled as the dark world," Gildas said.
"If it comes to that, which one of us isn't, my dear?'Brendan said.
The truth of what Brendan said stopped all of our mouths. We was cripples all of us. For a moment or two there was no sound but the bees.
"To lend each other a hand when you're falling," Brendan said. "Perhaps that's the only work that matters in the end."

My prayer is that I would grow more and more in my ability to be centered in God, realizing that there will be many times I fall short of that. And to live with a thankful heart for those who reach out to me and lend a hand when I am falling. Those people have been Christ to me, and through their love (Christ's love) I am empowered to reach out and grab others.