CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 8, 2007

dancing

Tonight, I leave for a nine day fact-finding trip to Brazil (I have already written entries for the next week. Brooke will be posting for me. She does not have the same internal clock I do….5:30 am isn’t her favorite time of day. She will be posting but just not as early, so those of you who get up early may have to come back a bit later to read. Thanks for your patience.)

My spirit is full of wonder and gratitude right now. Last night, as I was packing, I was searching through closets to find my electricity converter. I picked up a box to move it out of the way. There was something sticking out of the top and I moved some paper to find……my journal. (For those of you who are new to this blog, I lost my journal in March).

I picked it up and had to look inside to make sure it was THE journal. It was. I cannot tell you how overwhelmed I was. Honestly, some of you may not understand this. But finding that journal was like a gift from God. I leafed through the pages and saw my reflections about the first time I heard my daughter was pregnant…my sweet time in Israel….different things God had revealed to me through the Scripture, even my first ‘poem’. It is filled with my memories, my recent history with God and those I love, my struggles, my spiritual journey since last November.

Having lost it, and now finding it reinforces how much keeping a journal means to me. There are times I will neglect journaling. In the moment it seems as if there is nothing to say. But I am coming to realize that if there is nothing to say then I am not fully aware of God’s presence in my life. The fact is, God is always moving, always working.

I am reminded of one of the worship songs we sing….

” You dance over me
While I am unaware
You sing all around
But I never hear the sound”

How often do I miss Him? Pretty often. But, I believe if I continue this practice of writing down what I do see, I will notice more and more. And my desire is that I become increasingly ‘aware’ of His dance and I continue to learn the steps.

I look forward to taking some time and going through my ‘found’ journal slowly. I am so thankful for finding it. I have no idea how it got there but I believe I found it just when I was supposed to. What a gift. Now if I could only find that converter! :0)

Again…consider journaling. Even if you write once a week for five minutes, give it a try. Be open and honest and real. Do it for a month or two and then go back and re-read what you have written. It will be an incredible experience. Find a way to journal that speaks to you. This week, a friend of mine discovered that if she uses the computer rather than a pen, she is more free and open and able to write more honestly what is on her heart.

It really is a beautiful to see how God is dancing over you….how He wants to dance with you. Join the dance.

Grace and peace,
Deb

PS: Have a great week. I will read each and every comment once I’m home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was hard for me to start journaling. But I began by journaling how I saw God working in my life. I wanted to be grateful. I still write down at least three things everyday that I am grateful for. It may be as simple as a flower that I have been watching has bloomed. I receive that a personal gift from God. It may be huge like I see one of my kids moving closer to God. Some days it may be that I am breathing today. Through all the years of writing it down I can see the pattern of how God has been working in my life. Living in a spirit of gratefulness has affected my perspective of God. I would highly encourage everyone to journal. There is no right or wrong way just your way. But life moves so fast and you forget most of what happens (at least I do).

Psalm 111:2 says "How amazing are the deeds of the Lord! All who delight in him should ponder them.

We don't ponder much these days. By journaling it gives you an opportunity to ponder what is going on in your life especially as you look back.

deb said...

Cindy,
thank you so much for your comment. You're right...life does move fast and we miss it if we aren't paying attention. Thanks for the reminder from scripture...that we are to ponder the wonderful things God has done for us.

Have a beautiful, awareness filled day.
Deb

Anonymous said...

I am not able to journal as often as I once did, but I also enjoy looking back over the days and years, especially seeing the ways God has moved and prayers that were answered even a journal or two later in His perfect timing! Flipping through my journals takes me right back to so many precious discoveries about my faith and spiritual growth as well as being able to more clearly see how God has used even the most difficult circumstances for His glory. I am reminded of Mark 4:25... To those who are open to my teaching, more understanding will be given. How I crave that intimacy and understanding. Here's praying that we are all able to carve out that precious time today and throughout the weekend!

Mary Kay said...

Deb,
I am so glad that you found your journal. I know it must feel like finding a hidden treasure....in many ways it is a tangible representation of the intimacy you have with God. I hope you savor the moments with God as you re-read it and continue to bask in His love. I hope your trip to Brazil is successful. I will be praying for your safety.

Peace

Nathan Hammond said...

I commented earlier to the blog on journaling too. I journal a bit differently daily in that I have a calendar where I write down a verse that impacted me that day in my quiet time. It is usually a verse that reflects where my heart is or where I may have been struggling that day. When I then read over the months' verses and notes I see themes and lessons God was teaching me on a grander scheme. I have notes of blessings and requests. It's an incredible tool for learning about him and myself. At the same time, for those who are poring out your hearts...if you have children...what an amazing gift to give them one day. I know that I wish I could have a part of my own mother in that way. Even to just see her handwriting would be special, let alone her heart.