CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

spa for the soul - disciplines


I cannot tell you how much my life has changed since practicing spiritual disciplines. For years I tried and tried to have a consistent ‘quiet’ time, without success. I knew it was important but it just was so difficult for me. Once I began practicing the disciplines, things began to fall in to place.

Now…the disciplines do not change me. The Holy Spirit changes me. But, the disciplines help prepare me for the work the Holy Spirit wishes to do within me. I like to think of it like this...my time in the disciplines – journaling, silence and solitude, lectio divina, spiritual direction, being part of a spiritual friends group…all of these things help me continue to be surrendered to the work of Jesus in my life. They also help me recognize it. These disciplines keep me attentive so I am more aware of what God is doing and how He is speaking to me.

Consider learning more about the disciplines. Consider reading Ruth Haley Barton’s book, Sacred Rhythms. Practice, practice, practice. Or…consider giving yourself a ‘spa’ weekend. A 'sacred~encounter’ weekend will provide a get-away from all your daily responsibilities. There will be teaching and practice of the disciplines and wonderful, much needed time alone…to journal, to walk, to read, to sleep….whatever you feel your body needs. You will come home not only refreshed but with some tools to help you have a more intimate relationship with God.

My renewed relationship with God is rich. I no longer struggle with spending time with Him. It is a special, close time with God that I love. May you experience, today, the extravagant love of Jesus. May He increase in you a longing to be with Him….and may you desire to learn more about how to abandon yourself to Him and hear Him speak softly into Your life.


Grace and Peace,
Deb

0 comments: