CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

mr potato head



Did you have a Mr. Potato Head as a kid? I did. I loved that toy. I could spend hours changing his features to make him into an entirely new person…ummm..potato….you know…well….as much as you can possibly change the look of a potato.

I spent much of my adult life as a Mr…wait…a Mrs. Potato Head. My insides remained pretty much the same but my outsides might change depending on who I was with. Not flagrant inconsistencies but more than I would have liked.

I am getting older (although they are saying that 50 is the new 30!) and I want to live my life with integrity. I want to be the same inside and out. I want to be the same no matter what circumstance I’m in or who I am with. I don’t want to put on airs or downplay my strengths. I don’t want to hide behind feelings of inadequacies nor do I want to be quiet about what I think or feel strongly about. I just want to be me…the me who is changing and growing and becoming more comfortable with who I am and who I am becoming. I believe this is what God calls me to….a life of integrity.

If you find yourself being like Mr. Potato Head, I invite you to spend some time today thinking about the ways you may not be living in integrity and consider what you might want to change.

Grace and Peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok,why is it I have a feeling God is giving you a direct link to what I am thinking, writing, and my conversations with Him? It is so surreal to read your posts and see them echo my own questions. When I heard the quote from Akeelah and the Bee on Sunday I felt the urge to find it so I could see the section on shrinking so others would not feel insecure. It was in complete contrast to all the words I was slammed with at this time last year. While there is some truth in the labels, they do not encompass all who God created me to be. I had played Mrs. Potato Head for the vast majority of time at my CLB (church left behind) and I still could not meet their expectations of who I should be as a member of their church. I tried so hard to make everyone else comfortable to the extreme detriment of my emotional, mental, physical and spiritual health. Yet there have been amazing lessons out of all the mess. I am finding an authenticity I have not seen since my teenage years, and that is in my relationship with God. While it has been excrutiating to peel layer after layer of garbage from my life, it is exciting to see what a life seeking truth may start to look like. I am slowly becoming a bare potato again, the way God created me when I was born into this world. I am thankfully broken.