CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 2, 2012

rhythm


“To surrender to the rhythms of the seasons and flowerings and dormancies is to savor the secret of life itself.
Many scientists believe we are “hard-wired” like this, to live in rhythmic awareness, to be in and then step out, to be engrossed and then detached, to work and then to rest.”
Wayne Muller

Recently we moved. We were hoping to move in October but ended up moving in on December 12th. I would not recommend moving that close to Christmas. Add to that finishing up a graduate degree and it is easy to see why I might be a bit tired.

Since we moved, I noticed something different. I am ready for bed by 9 pm. Now I am not a night owl by any stretch of the imagination but going to bed at 9 makes me feels like I am becoming my grandmother! (So far, I have not noticed a need to eat dinner at 4 pm or constantly look out the windows to see what my neighbors are doing so I think I am safe).

What I have been doing is paying attention to the new rhythm that is trying to take hold of me…and going with it. Occasionally I will fight it and try to stay up, especially to see a football game or unpack another box. But I am more and more yielding to it. I am giving in and not pushing myself to do ‘just one more thing’.
I wonder if this is a new thing God is doing in me or if my body is just seeking the rest I have denied it over the past several years….or perhaps both. Whatever it is, I am going with it, trusting it and enjoying it.

May you listen today to the rhythm God may be calling you to – is He asking you to rest? Listen. Try it and see what happens.
Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: