CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

identity


“Ponder for the moment the numerous ways we spend time and energy in either trying to win the approval of others or protect ourselves from criticism. How often do we try to justify ourselves in the minds of others? How often do we rationalize our behavior, distort the truth, or embellish the facts in order to be seen in a positive light? How much of our behavior is posturing or putting on airs in order to impress? How often do we do things merely to enhance our image? How often do we lie or shade the truth to avoid rebuke or curry favor? How often do we vie to be the center of attention? The list goes on and on.”

Marc Foley, O.C.D., The Love that Keeps Us Sane

When we are not able to see ourselves through God’s eyes, when we do not know that our worth and value come from him….when we have our identity in anything or anyone but him we will fall into these patterns.

I really saw myself in this quote. I know I have spent much of my life trying to justify myself in the minds of others. I know I have rationalized my behavior, I have distorted the truth, I have embellished facts – all to help others see me in a more positive light. I have postured and put on airs to impress. I have done thing to enhance my image. I have lied or shaded the truth to avoid rebuke or to curry favor. I have vied to be the center of attention. And my list goes on and on…..

How about yours?

Grace and peace –
Deb

0 comments: