CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

worry


“Worry is praying for what you don’t want.”

Hmmm. Think about that. Worry - something you do that produces nothing but anxiety. I can think back to times I have worried about something. Did it change the outcome? No. If things turned out badly, my worrying did nothing to make that happen. And, if they turned out well, I wasted all that energy on something that never came to pass. A huge expenditure of energy with no return, maybe even negative effects when we think about what stress does to us.

Returning to the quote….does ‘worry’ become my prayer? If I give more time and attention to what I don’t want to happen than to what I do want to happen, what does that say about where my energy…or my faith is placed? What would it be like to actually leave the outcome in God’s hands? I know….easier said than done. But, what a freeing place to camp.

Consider what it is that you are choosing to worry about today. Sit quietly, take some deep breaths and release it to God. When you realize that you have picked it back up during the course of the day….breath and release it again. Keep choosing to release.

Grace and peace,
Deb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Deb, exactly what I needed to hear right now. I think I'll be doing alot of breathing and releasing.

Joan said...

I've been thinking about anxiety lately; worry. See my face book status for today. If I can view my worry as a tool and useful in that it takes me to a realization of need, then it can be redeemed and I become what I'm supposed to be anyway: dependent. If I don't have a touch of worry I seem to forget and become self reliant.