CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 28, 2010

'more' beauty


Hoping that you had time to sit with the thoughts from yesterday, let me share more of what Margaret Becker wrote about her experience with God in light of the ‘bathing suit’ moment. She continues:


“I came to a dead stop at a more cruel truth: the opportunity missed, fun not had, living left unlived, clothes unworn, swims not taken, glances shied away from, and time – precious, unsalvageable time – wasted from my living in the phantom shadow of ‘when’ and ‘if’.”

Some time ago, I had a conversation with someone I work with. I commented on how nice she looked; that she had a flair about her that day. She mentioned that she had all these ‘fun’ clothes at home that she used to wear when she worked in the corporate world, but felt she had to dress much more conservatively in the church setting. She didn’t usually like the way she looked when she came to work, but on this particular morning she had decided to break out of the box a bit. We talked about how we hold these perceptions about what we should act like and how we should dress…but that sometimes it isn’t being who we really are. Now I’m not saying we should act or dress inappropriately but that doesn’t mean that we all need to act alike or look alike.

God created us uniquely. Our bodies, our minds, our gifts. You need to celebrate that uniqueness and live life with zest, because if you don’t……well….you’ll have to check tomorrow to see where Margaret’s journey takes us.

And my friend? She threw out all her ‘church work’ clothes and is wearing the clothes that she enjoys. It makes me smile inside when I see her in the hall and she inspires me, in that small way, to live more fully into who God created me to be.


Peace,
Deb

0 comments: