CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 1, 2012

more than eternity


“Maybe “accepting Christ” isn’t so much a one-time thing we do as a formula for escaping hell in the afterlife, but rather a lifelong process of learning to depend on the sufficiency of Christ within for what we most deeply need and desire. His life fills our empty moats of worth, purpose, and love.”

Jim Palmer, Divine Nobodies

There was a time in my life when I saw my relationship with Jesus as my ticket to the better side of eternity. It is like someone said, “Hey Deb – that train right there is the one that goes to heaven. Now you won’t know for sure when it is leaving the station but you know for sure where it is going. If I were you, I wouldn’t wait any longer to buy your ticket. Once you get it, you’re good to go.” And while I was waiting for this trip to heaven, in the time I had, I was to work on my sins. And while I wait, I could also do good things for others.

For the majority of my Christian life, that is what I did. I ‘worked’ on my sins and I tried to do good things for others. Any transformation in me would surely come by my hard work, with the Spirit’s help. And, maybe God would see my good deeds and I could get some extra credit. Now, mind you, if anyone asked me if I believed in a ‘works’ mentality, the answer would have been a resounding ‘no’.

What I have come to believe is that although my yes to Jesus meant something to my eternity it meant just as much to my present. Any chance for transformation did not depend on me, with the exception of acknowledging that I was in deep need of said transformation and that I needed to open myself to that work. Transformation is the work of the Spirit. And – good deeds are – well – good. But they also should flow from our relationship with God so that we are not in danger of believing we are the initiators.

May today be a renewal of our desire for Christ, knowing that he alone ‘fills our empty moats of worth, purpose and love.”

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: