CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 3, 2012

intentionality


“A diminishment of intentionality decreases our self-presence because our choices are no longer experienced as a conscious response to life, but as a knee-jerk reaction to it. Life becomes a disconnected series of events devoid of meaning.”

Marc Foley, The Love that Keeps Us Sane


This is a lesson I continue to learn. The less aware I am of the present moment, the more I tend to attach meaning and motivations to what is happening around me that, most likely, are more of a ’knee-jerk’ reaction than a Spirit-lead response.

In fact, it just happened yesterday. I was going about my business when – poof - I was confronted with something that could have derailed my day. I sat with my initial reaction and noticed that I was resistant and to use the expression of a friend of mine, ‘crunchy’ ( loosely translated as irritated or bent out of shape). I decided to hold myself in check until I had time to explore it with God. After reflection in prayer and journaling, I came to see the gift that was wrapped up in the issue I was struggling with – in fact, I did a 180. I found myself thanking God for this situation as it helped me to see more deeply into how He had made me and for what. It provided clarity about moving forward. I was able to see more of the connectivity between different events in my life and how God was using them to continue to direct me on the path He has for me.

Today, take stock of how intentional you are being about remaining in the moment. Notice when you are tempted to ‘react’ to something and try to create some time and space to notice where God is with you in the situation. May you ‘respond’ in a way that reveals your trust and confidence that He is acting in your best interest.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: