CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

authenticity


“When I could finally get past what everyone might be thinking about me, I realized that ultimately I could only live my own life, and I just wanted to live in humility, in honestly and be true to myself.”

Helen

I’m not sure if this is true for you but it is easy for me to get caught up in the expectations of others. I am, by nature, a people-pleaser and being first-born, I have a tendency towards perfectionism. Although both of these traits can make you look good – either with family and friends, in the workplace or in school – it is an illusion.

The ‘people-pleasing’ only works as long as you please ‘the people’ - whoever that may be. Once you fall short of that mark, no matter what the reason, you’ve failed. It doesn’t matter if you have really failed, or if they perceived that you have failed, because in your eyes, you’re a failure.

And perfectionism? What the heck is that? It is such a set-up because it is unattainable. There was only One who was perfect and that is certainly not me.
For me, both of these are substitutes for believing in and living out of God’s love for me – just as I am. Both put me in a position of ‘doing enough’ to prove I am worthy. But my worthiness should not be found in what I do or who I please. It should be found in God. If I never accomplish another thing in my life, if I never please another person, God’s love for me remains constant.
God is gently teaching me these lessons. He is lessening my grip on the need to even try to be perfect and He is giving me glimpses of how people-pleasing is an idol that needs to released to Him.

Am I living my own life? Yes. With humility? I try. Am I being true to myself? Not when I am people pleasing and chasing after perfection, but I am moving closer every day, with Gods’ help.

How about you? Are you a people-pleaser? Do you feel the need to be perfect? If so, what do you think God wants to say to you about that? Spend some time today listening.

Grace and peace –
Deb

0 comments: