CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, December 12, 2009

mountains and valleys



God of making
and unmaking,
of tearing down
and re-creating,
You are my home
and habitation,
my refuge
and place of dwelling.

In your hollows
I am re-formed,
given welcome
and benediction,
beckoned to rest
and rise again,
made ready
and sent forth.

Jan Richardson

As we move closer to Advent, we will focus on preparing our inner space to make room for Him. Today we are paying attention to where He has been through out our lives. My life in Jesus has been full of ups and downs. I have never had such incredible highs! Wonderful memories of life-changing mission trips, worshipping with new friends, in their own language, while tears streamed down my face. Seeing my children be baptized. Seeing them marry spouses who love them. Seeing my grandchildren grow. Seeing changes in my own spiritual walk which have resulted in deeper intimacy. These are the mountains.

Then there are the valleys. A difficult childhood. The death of my sister-in-law. Losing one of my children to miscarriage. Going through a deeply hurtful church experience. Struggling in my marriage. Going through the divorce of my parents. Experiencing illness; mine, my husband’s, my children’s. Seeing my children go through painful things. Walking with friends through tough times.

I trust God. I trust that He knows what is best for me and that he has been with me through all the mountains and valleys. He has a plan for me and it includes all of the above. My painful experiences have played a big part in making me who I am. He is present in all of it.


May you spend some time today reflecting on your experiences, both good and difficult, and notice where God was at work.

Grace and peace,
Deb

Check out Jan Richards' reflections on Advent at:



You will often see her poetry, which I absolutely love, in the book Night Visions.

0 comments: