CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 14, 2007

trust

Why do you think it is so hard for us to know, in our hearts, that God loves us? That He wants the very best for us? Why do you think we fight that so much?

If we have spent any length of time walking with God, we know that God loves us. I am using the word “know” in an intellectual sense. We can have verses memorized (and that is great thing), we can read books about trust, we can tell others what ‘trusting’ in God is. But is that how we live our lives? There have been so many times that has not been true for me. Intellectually, I know that He loves me….but I live as if I don’t, taking back whatever it is I am fearful or concerned about.

We may know things intellectually but we live out what we truly believe. Take some time over the next few days to reflect on the following quote by Brennan Manning. Allow it to sink in and find a place to settle in your heart.


“The splendor of the human heart which trusts that it is loved [by God] gives God more pleasure than Westminster Cathedral, the Sistine Chapel, Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony, Van Gogh’s Sunflowers, the sight of ten thousand butterflies in flight or the scent of millions of orchids in bloom. Trust is our gift back to God, and He finds it so enchanting that Jesus died for love of it.”


As you spend time thinking about this quote ask yourself if you know that God loves you, in your head… or in your heart.

Peace,
Deb

4 comments:

Carol said...

Ughhh! How true is this for me! It is a constant struggle for me to get this knowledge into my heart, the mind thing is easy--I do know intellectually that God loves me, but how does that get to my heart? I guess, I need to be as intentional about this truth as I am about all the negatives and self doubt in my life, if I were, I guess we both know what would win out, huh? God's love.....
Thanks again Deb for your willingness to share what you hear from Him!
Love,
Carol

Carol said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

How different we would be if we but truly felt God's love in our heart. Would we not think twice about our actions before we failed to follow His commandments? Our actions are guided by unmet expectations of ourselves and others. Here is one expectation that will never fall short. God loves us like no other.

Anonymous said...

Carol,
I agree with you! This head/heart thing is hard. Why is it so easy to believe the negative stuff rather than what God says...that should be a no-brainer...but it's hard. Thanks for being so honest. I love reading your comments.