CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 9, 2009

waiting in the dark


“We require darkness for birth and growth, the seed in the ground, the seed in the womb, the seed in our souls. In the dark lie possibilities for intimacy, for rest, for healing. Although we may find journeying in the dark fearsome or confusing, it teaches us to rely on senses other than sight.”
Jan Richardson

I know you, like me, have experienced those times…times when you cannot see the next step, you cannot see God’s hand. You feel spiritually and emotionally blind, stumbling along wondering when the light will return. But, in the dark, life remains. Hidden, unknown, undefined….but it is still there.

I am in the last days…or maybe hours of waiting. I am waiting for my next grandchild to be born. According to a due date, he should be here today. He has been developing, growing, ‘becoming’ in the dark. I cannot see him but I can feel him. it is delightful to me to place my hands on my daughter’s belly and feel his movements. In many ways, he is a mystery to me. I already love him. But, soon I will know him face to face and then I can love him in a more tangible way. I wait with expectancy.

This is how I am with the things of God. So much is hidden to me. I cannot see it. But I know He is there. I know He is working. Even though I can’t see it I know it. If I quiet myself, I can sense Him whispering to me hints of what is to come. I love Him now, but it will be very different some day as find myself in His presence without the veil.

Trust, that even though you can’t see what God is doing, that nevertheless, He is there. He is moving. He is interested and engaged. Just because you can’t see Him doesn’t mean He isn’t there. Just like my daughter’s baby boy, God will reveal Himself when it is the right time, not necessarily when I think he should. There will be a time you will see Him face to face, but for now, you must trust that He is there, right behind the veil.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: