CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 20, 2009

love


“If you want to find out who people are, don’t ask them what they do but what they love.”

Augustine

I was part of a conversation recently where people discussed how they feel about being asked ‘what they do.’ The responses ranged from seeing it as an easy way to start a conversation to feeling it was a way to ‘categorized’ someone based on their employment. Personally, I have experienced both.

I love this quote because I think it speaks to the rarity of each of us being able to do, for money, what we love. Sometimes, that is the case. I am one who is so blessed. I have the privilege of doing what I love and getting paid for it.

But, many of us work, to earn the money, to do what we love. Our job doesn’t define us…it is a means to an end. And then there are those who do not get paid at all but are doing what they were designed to do. I am thinking of a beautiful, college educated, talented young woman who has made the decision to stay at home and care for her child. She is fully capable of earning an income in any number of ways but her heart’s desire is to build into the life that has been entrusted to her. It is heartbreaking that she feels the need to justify why she has made this choice. If you ask her what she does, she may say, “Nothing. I’m a stay-at-home mom.” If you ask her what she loves, she’ll say “Being a mom.”

Consider asking someone today, what they love. It will give you a much deeper glimpse into their life than asking them what they do.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: