CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

love letter


“The Word of Scripture should never stop sounding in your ears and working in you all day long, just like the words of someone you love, but accept them as they are said to you, accept the Word of Scripture and ponder it in your heart, as Mary did. That is all. That is meditation…Do not ask “How shall I pass this on?” but “What does it say to me?” Then ponder this Word long in your heart until it has gone right into you and taken possession of you.”
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I cannot tell you how many times I have read a certain piece of Scripture and thought, “Oh…so and so needs to hear that” or “I wonder if so and so has ever heard this?” Or my most recent one, “Wow…I could use that on the blog!” Notice the problem here? What I am reading is for the benefit of someone else. Is that wanting to help others or, maybe, avoiding what God wants to say to me? Maybe both, maybe neither. It may just mean that I am going through the motions of reading it and not slowing down long enough to see how God wants to speak to me, directly to me, through it. What He may want to say to me may just be for me…not information to pass along or material for a later teaching but words that may be life-giving, life-changing to me. I don’t want to miss His words for me.

Consider reading the Word today as if it is a love letter from God to you. How is He expressing His love for you, today, through the Scripture? Read slowly and listen.

Peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. Thank you...I love you blog.
Kim (LW member)