CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

forgiveness


A couple of months back I was having a conversation with a friend. She said something that really stuck with me. We were discussing some family issues that she was going through and how important forgiveness is. I was so moved by what she said that I wrote it down:

“Forgiveness is something I do for myself so I can go back into relationship with love.”

Simple but profound. To me, it embodies what Jesus talked about. He was always sharing about how we should forgive because then God would forgive us. But it seems to me that the essence of what He was saying is that we should forgive because it is the way to live in love, not because of what we can get out of it. But, so many times, I am questioning if I want to live in love with those who have hurt me. It would be so much easier if I could cross their names off my “People I Love” list. There are two problems with this perspective. One…there is that other thing Jesus said….that thing about loving God and loving others. Yeah…that thing.

And there is the fact that I have hurt others. I’m very glad they have not crossed me off their list.

Today, I invite you to think about who you may be keeping outside of your circle of love by choosing not to forgive. Consider asking Jesus what He wants you to do…and then consider what needs to be done. Live in love.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: