CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 6, 2008

prayer


“You may think that you will be full of determination to resist outward trials if God will only grant you inward favours. His Majesty knows what is suitable for us; it is not for us to advise Him what to give us, for he can rightly reply that we know not what we ask. All that the beginner in prayer has to do – and you must not forget this, for it is very important – to labour and be resolute and prepare himself will all possible diligence to bring his will into conformity with the will of God.”

Teresa of Avila


I have been a ‘prayer’ for over 30 years and I feel I am still a beginner. For the first 25 years of my praying life, I told God how I wanted it to be or thought it should be. I shudder now when I think of how arrogant I was, presuming I knew how things should happen. Then, about five years ago, I had a shift in my prayers. I felt called to just be ‘with’ God during my prayer time and try to listen to what He wanted. I wanted to learn to trust Him and rest into what ever He had for my life and for the lives of those I love.

I hope I am always a ‘beginner’, wanting what God wants more than what I want.

Grace and peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Jan said...

I'm always reassured when I hear that people who pray are always beginners. I need that wonder and anticipation.