CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 1, 2011

hints of the sacred

‘I am a spiritual being. Of this I am sure. I know it every time I see a spider’s web or a newborn baby’s fingers, hear a mourning dove cry or the mingled laughter of young children and wise crones. I am convinced the world is not random. There is absolute order here, although I know it is absolutely over my head in theory.”

Margaret Becker, Coming Up for Air

I love the Scriptures. They tell the story of God. They tell the story of us. They tell the story of God and us.

And, I love how God makes Himself known to us through everyday life. This quote from Ms. Becker speaks right into my life. I have a hummingbird feeder that hangs right outside my kitchen window. No matter how many times I see one feeding, I still have the same reaction – it just takes my breath away. I have watched the birth of one my grandsons and cried tears of pure joy. Six years ago, I stood over the incubators of my granddaughters as they fought to hang onto to life, being born too soon. I cried tears of sadness – for the girls, for my son and daughter-in-law. Two weeks ago, I spent a lovely day celebrating my granddaughters’ 6th birthday. They are now beautiful, healthy, whole little girls. I watched them play with their friends and thought about the miracle that they are. Over the past two years, I have stood, too many times, at the side of my mom’s hospital bed, wondering if she would survive this episode of chest pain, breathing trouble or internal bleeding. It has been a tough couple of years – like living on the edge, never knowing when you might fall off….an emotional rollercoaster. When she is struggling, it seems like it is always night. But, in the midst of this physical storm, the lovely relationship we have forged during this time is worth it all. I have been able to see God’s handprint all over it.

If you are looking for it, you can see evidence of God’s involvement in this world everywhere (even in a hospital room or in the midst of a hospice visit). In any situation you find yourself good or bad, beautiful or challenging, He is there. You can know that intellectually but unless you learn how to look for Him, for hints of His presence, you will miss it.

The sacred is all around you. Be intentional today about looking for it.

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: