CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 5, 2008

homecoming


Today, my friend went home to be with God. She was an incredible woman who fought ten long years with cancer. The past two weeks have been filled with struggle, sadness, laughter, prayer, and peace. The past several days have been particularly hard as she entered the final stages of life.

For her, life has really just begun. She is free from all the restrictions this life holds. The restriction of her earthly body, the restriction so time and space, the restriction of disease and pain. She is home.

I had a discussion with her family. We talked about the fact that if we really knew what heaven was like, we wouldn’t fear death . . .we would welcome it. We cannot even imagine what she is experiencing right now. We’d be envious.


I shared this quote several months ago but I think it is beautiful and wanted to share it again.

“Death is not extinguishing the light; it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.”

Floyd Lotito

For my friend, the dawn has come. For me and for you, our lamps continue to burn because we are still in need of the light.

Grace and peace,
Deb

2 comments:

Jane said...

Deb,
Thank you so much for all that you do, not just for Danna in her final days, but for all of us, everyday. I believe that Danna had a message to us all, brought on by our coming along side her during those days. That message would be to not wait so long to be wholly surrendered. You have such an important part in the lives of so many people with the ministry that you have been called to. I want to thank you for your "yes"

deb said...

Jane,
Thank you for your beautiful words. I agree...Danna had so much to teach us about abandoning ourselves, our hopes, our dreams, our plans to Him . . . trusting Him even though we don't understand or we are afraid.

And...you also touch so many lives, You are one of the most generous, giving women I know. I'm glad you are part of my life.

Love,
Deb