CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 7, 2011

walk to the edge



“If we are called by God to holiness of life, and if holiness is beyond our natural power to achieve (which it certainly is) then it follows that God himself must give us the light, the strength, and the courage to fulfill the task he requires of us. He will certainly give us the grace we need.”

Thomas Merton

I have sensed God’s call, in the past for me to go somewhere (or many somewheres!) or to do something (like fly to those somewheres) that seemed way beyond my ability to do it. He invited me to go to the end of what I thought I could do so that I would need to lean on Him. As afraid as I was, I did it. And He did indeed meet me there and provide what I needed (maybe not what I wanted which was to be unconscious on the flight but definitely what I needed, like friends to hold my hand and tell me it would all be ok).

Then, about eight years ago, I sensed His call into a new vocation. That one took me a bit longer to respond to because I couldn’t accept that He was really offering this to me. When I finally accepted it and began the work, it became more than I could have ever imagined.

Again, He is moving and inviting me to more. I now, again, stand at the edge of what I know and what I think I can do. I am being invited to step the off the edge and trust that He will hold me. I do not possess inordinate amounts of confidence, especially in areas I have not ventured into before. But, I believe this is all part of God’s plan for me. It means I have to trust Him to meet me and also to give me what I need to walk into what He is asking. It reminds me of who is God and who is not.

I am standing at the edge and waiting – though this time it is not to work up enough confidence to step off but waiting for Him to say “Now…” But this time, instead of biting my nails and saying to myself “You can’t really do this’, I am leaning toward the edge, hands open, looking and listening to my God to call for me into step off into the unknown, the surprise, the adventure.

What might God be calling you to? Are you listening? Do you trust Him to give you what you need when you need it? What would trust look like in this place? Take some time today and think on these things.
Grace and peace,
deb

Photo by jeroenf http://www.flickr.com/photos/linkadoor/232556927/

0 comments: