CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, September 10, 2011

new life experiences i wished i never had


Journal Entry, Friday, September 09, 2011

Today, I look back over this week. I am exhausted just thinking about it. A trip to the attorney’s office to go to the courthouse and be sworn in as the executrix of my mom’s estate. I wish I didn’t have this job. Over and over again, I have to tell people she is dead and show them proof – even Comcast wanted a copy of the death certificate! Really??

The same day, I had to the funeral home and sign some papers…and pick up her remains. A good friend of mine is the funeral director. It was pouring outside ( we were in the middle of a major storm) and he put the box in a plastic bag so the box wouldn’t get wet. I must have looked pitiful because he offer to carry it to the car for me. I told him I could handle it and he handed me the box. It was much heavier than I thought it would be. How much can ashes weigh? I got out to the car and a few minutes later while waiting in traffic I looked in the bag…”The Cremated Remains of Suzanne E. Fondessy”. This is what is left of my mom.

Today I went to the bank to close her accounts and get a check to be able to open the estate account. They needed a Short Certificate (all the terms that I didn’t know three weeks ago). I had the Short certificate (one of the papers you get when you are sworn in). Then she said, “We also need a death certificate.” How do they think I got the Short Certificate? I was cordial but got to the car and lost it. Frustration seems to meet me at every corner. As I drone home to get yet another death certificate, I even considered taking the box back to the bank and ask them if that was enough proof that she gone.

Lord…thank you for giving me the grace for each day – to continue to learn how to live in the tension of grief and the beauty of life. How would I EVER be able to walk this without You….

Deb

photo by tessa maurer photography http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=grief&m=text

3 comments:

Carol S. said...

Your last sentence sums it up, Deb, and I'm thankful that you don't have to find out. God bless you dear Sister. (I do have to chuckle at the idea of you taking the box in for proof) OXO

Anonymous said...

deb, it is so hard to lose a loved one...and it is so good to lean into Jesus...

Kim said...

Again I want to say, I so appreciate your willingness to share your pain and struggle through this time. I love your "inappropriateness". :) I would have wanted to be a fly on the wall if you had taken the box in for proof!