CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 22, 2011

die to self


“Many think that dying to themselves is what causes them so much pain. But it is actually part of them that still lives that causes the problem. Your imagination exaggerates how bad death will be. Let all that is not born of God within you die.”
Francois Fenelon

Why do we hang on so hard to what is not good for us, in us? Why do we fear what might be new and good?
I have been pondering this concept of ‘dying to self’. In the past, I have thought that meant dying to who I am, almost as if I would become a non-entity. I no longer believe that. I think it is dying to that part of myself that wants to be God. That is hard. But I no longer think it is dying to my personality, my core - because I am made in the image of God. That is good, perfect and beautiful. I want to choose to live to that part of who I am – live more fully into the part of me that reflects God and die to the part that doesn’t. Honestly, I cannot always tell the difference. But God can. And sitting with Him in silence, I offer up myself and ask Him to do the work in me that needs to be done.

What part of yourself are you resisting dying to? What part of yourself needs to live fully into who you were created to be? I invite you to spend some time today considering these questions.
Grace and peace,
Deb

Photo by CarolAnneS http://www.flickr.com/photos/carolannestimpson/4196689571/

0 comments: