CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

life




The beauty of the world has two edges, one of laughter, one of anguish, cutting the heart asunder.

~Virginia Woolf

How true. One thing we know for sure is that there will be days filled with laughter (just had seven of those last week) and days filled with anguish (that would aptly describe my last two). This is the stuff that makes up life.
Last week I went to a residency for a master’s program I am involved in. I met my cohort, six people, who had previously been faceless classmates who I knew more by their comments in our on-line discussion room than by their hearts. It was a wonderful week. I learned a lot and I laughed a lot…and I do mean a lot. I got to know people I will continue to journey with, not only for the next two years but for a long time. I also had meaningful conversations with other students and faculty and received validation of my ministry. It was an awesome week.

My last two days have been spent in the hospital. Five months ago, I convinced my mom to move to PA from AZ. She has had health problems for years and I wanted her to be close to family so we could monitor her medical concerns and surround her with love. This morning we received a diagnosis that means her life…and mine…will change. To watch her begin to grapple with her new reality is heartbreaking for me.

What I find beautiful is that I so sense God’s presence in both of these situations. Although it may be more obvious in my week of laughter and affirmation, His love was so evident today in that hospital room. I know that even though my heart is heavy and the future is unsure, I can trust Him. I felt Him comfort me and that comfort comes with no guarantee of any specific outcome. He loves me and He loves her. Period. I can rest in that.

Today, wherever you find yourself, know He is there with you. Rest in that fact. Fully embrace whatever it is, laughter or anguish - this is the stuff of life.
Grace and peace,
Deb

1 comments:

Carmen said...

so true! Praying for you and your mom!