CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 12, 2009

luggage




“Yet here we sit, with our souls tucked away in this marvelous luggage, mostly insensible to the ways in which every spiritual practice begins with our body. Our bodies have shaped our views of the world, just as the world has shaped our views of our bodies.”
Barbara Brown Taylor

Did you ever think of your body as ‘marvelous luggage’? If that is what we are calling it I would rather have the carry-on size the oversized bag! And, if I could choose I’d have a nifty one-of-kind designer look rather than the run-of-the mill black bag. But, I didn’t get a vote. My eyes are blue, my hair, auburn and my height, 5’6”. There are some things I can have some control over…like if I am the regular size bag or the overweight, ‘extra $50 charge’ bag, but for the most part, my body is what it is. And, it seems as if I spend more time wishing it were different than I do honoring it for what it is.
I don’t think it has occurred to me before that every spiritual practice begins with my body. What a beautiful thought. I want to remember this…I want to see my body as the exact luggage God gave me to travel this journey in and I want to care for it so that it holds up for whatever He asks of me. It is the physical gift that He gave me to house my spirit…and it allows me to express my worship to Him in so many ways.
Today, take a few minutes to take a good look at the ‘marvelous luggage’ God gave you. Lift a prayer thanking Him for the gift that is you.
Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: