CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 23, 2009

love


Last year I was reading a book by Donald Miller. It’s called Blue Like Jazz. This book spoke to me in a powerful way. I want to share with you what God showed me but I am changing the names in this story so don’t even go and try to figure out who is who. :)

My friend, Marge, asked my opinion about a moral issue. She had asked a few other friends as well. One of the friends, Laura, didn’t like the choice she was going to make and told Marge, if she made that choice, she wouldn’t be spending time with her. I think she did this to re-enforce her stand on this issue and on what she believed to be God’s standards on this issue. When Marge asked my opinion I gave it to her. I felt the choice was not a good one for her…not a choice that would take her deeper into her relationship with God but farther away from him. Honesty, I also thought about putting some distance between Marge and myself if she made this choice.

The same time all of this was happening, I was reading Blue Like Jazz. One of the chapters is on love. He talked about how we, as Christians, sometimes use our love as a weapon. We give it or withhold it to get others to do what we think they should. As I read that chapter, I felt convicted, deep in my heart. The author was talking about me. I had used love like that. I had considered using it like that in this situation.

That night – the night I read that portion of the book, I felt God say to me, “Deb….it’s my job to convict. She asked for your opinion and you gave it to her. Don’t punish her by withholding love. Speak lovingly to her about what she is considering and let her know that you will love her no matter what she chooses. That is how I love you. I don’t always like your choices, because I know they are not best for you. Even when you made really bad choices, I still loved you. Please ~ just love her.”

I did. I just loved her. She made a good choice but the lesson wasn’t for her, it was for me. I want to learn to love better……to love more like Jesus.

Love,
Deb

1 comments:

Jane said...

I know firsthand the pain of the unloving friend. My best friend of 7 yrs told me in no uncertain terms that if I continued to live my life the way I was, that she would no longer be my friend. One day, she stopped answering the phone when I called. I never saw her again, not to this day 14 yrs later. It was very painful and added more shame (which was the reason I was living my life the way I was to begin with) I have since "cleaned my side of the street" with her by way of a letter I sent about 1 yr ago. The writing of the letter freed me of the shame I felt in this circumstance, I wasn't writing to convict her of anything.
Thanks Deb for this writing, it is so important for us to truly love one another.