CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 12, 2008

trust


This post is a bit longer than normal but it is gave me a different perspective on life. If only I could camp in this place…..

“Fourteenth-century theologian and mystic John Tauler prayed for eight years that God would send him a person who would teach him the true way of perfection. One day, while at prayer, he heard a voice from within telling him to go outside to the steps, and there he would meet his mentor. He obeyed without hesitation. On the church steps Tauler found a barefoot ragamuffin in rags, wounded and caked in blood.

Tauker greeted the man cordially. “Good morning, dear brother. May God give you a good day and grant you a happy life.”

“Sir”, replied the ragamuffin, “I do not remember ever having had a bad day.”

Stunned, Tauler asked him how that was possible, since sadness and grief are part of the human condition.

The beggar explained, “You wished me a good day, and I replied that I cannot recall ever having spent a bad day. You see, whether my stomach is full or I am famished with hunger, I praise God equally; when I am rebuffed and despised, I still thank God. My trust in God’s providence and his plan for my life is absolute, so there is no such thing as a bad day. Sir, you also wished me a happy life. I must insist that I am always happy for it would be untruthful to state otherwise. My experience of God has taught me that whatever He does must of necessity be good. Thus, everything that I receive from His loving hand or whatever He permits me to receive from the hands of others – be it prosperity or adversity, sweet or bitter – I accept with joy and see it as a sign of His favor. For many, many years now my first resolution each morning is to attach myself to nothing but the will of God alone. I have learned that the will of God is the love of God. And by the outpouring of His grace I have so merged my will with His that whatever He wills I will too. Therefore I have always been happy.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Again, thanks for sharing another profound post.

Kimberly Preske said...

Wow,
To be happy and thankful, knowing God's goodness is in every moment, could I ever reach that place? Now I know I am trying but it reminded me that after the school shooting, I lost my trust in God. I knew He loved me, but I expected Him to protect me and by allowing me to experience, know and see all I had, He hadn't. Now I know He redeemed my pain and I am serving Him in a way I could not before.Our old church family used to do the leader/response of "God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good." If you looked at the backs of the pews I stood behind, you would see the fingernail marks I made each time I heard it so that I would not allow my pain and anguish to come out in a scream. An innocent affirmation of faith that was reinforcing how badly I was failing and encouraging me to keep burying my true pain for the comfort of others. May God teach us how to be aware and mindful of the pain and trauma others live with. Thanks Deb, Kimberly Ann