CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

legacy


“There is a strange charm in the hope of a good legacy that wonderfully reduces the sorrow people otherwise may feel for the death of their relatives and friends”
Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Yesterday I attended the funeral of someone I had never met. I went because his son is a good friend of mine. I went to support my friend. I left thinking deeply about ’legacy’.

This service was not a mournful time. Although there were tears, there was an atmosphere of celebration. It began with the pastor doing a lovely stand-up comedy routine…I kid you not. You could tell that the pastor had a playful relationship with this beloved man and that there was a deep affection between them. He spoke from a place of knowing – he even choked up several times, which revealed his own personal sense of loss.

The family took turns speaking about the legacy Mr. Carpenter left – as a husband, a dad, a grandfather and a great grandfather - a legacy of faith, of loyalty, of service and most of all, of love. He impacted those he came into contact with deeply and His love of God and family permeated everything he did.
At the end of the service, the pastor said that someone had sent a taped message because they couldn’t be there. It was Mr. Carpenter. He started with taking some playful jabs at the pastor and then went on to tell his family how much they meant to him. He also said that if they were listening to this tape, he was with Jesus…and that was right where he wanted to be. It was a beautiful way to end his celebration service.

I never met Mr. Carpenter, but I am fortunate enough to have members of his family in my life. When I am with Gordon, his son, I know I am seeing and engaging in the legacy that his father, Henry, left.

I pray that I might leave such a legacy…that my family and friends might say that I loved well, that I cared deeply about people, that I loved my God, that I was generous with both my compliments and my encouragement, and that I left the world a little bit better by being a part of it.

Well done, Mr. Carpenter. Thank you for the gift that you gave that touched those of us who didn’t even know you personally. Your legacy indeed does live on.

Grace and peace,
Deb

Photo by Meagan

0 comments: