CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

baby girl


“A daughter is one of the most beautiful gifts this world has to give.”

Laurel Atherton

One of my good friends had a beautiful a baby girl last week. It is a ‘starting over’ place for her and her husband as baby Havah came into their lives unexpectedly.

It made me reflect on my own life. 31 years ago this morning, I gave birth to a baby girl. Unlike her older brother who took 12 hours to make his appearance, my daughter took on only 12 minutes (I cheated - C-section). My petite little girl (9 lbs 9 oz) came home in a white and pink dress. And so began one of the most beautiful relationships of my life.

Today, I look back and reflect on 31 years of her life.

The way she slept in her crib – on her belly with her knees pulled up tight.
Her tonsillectomy at age 3.
Her pigtails.
Her love of animals.
Her obsession with marine life.
Her empty threat to squeeze her brother’s hamster until its eyes popped out.
Her first stitches – which she promptly pulled out.
Drinking Liquid Tylenol, then Ipecac syrup – then…well you know.
Her first date.
Her first heartbreak.
Track meets and volleyballs games.
Her graduation from high school.
Driving her to college for the first time.
Crying for days after - oh, yeah…that was me, not her!
Seeing her make a decision to do a semester overseas – because God wanted her to, not because she wanted to.
Seeing her make so many other good decisions.
Seeing her fall in love before she even knew it.
Doing a missions trip together to South Africa.
Being her matron of honor.
Being with her when her first child was born.
Waiting while her second child was born (another c-section in the family!)
Seeing her grow in gifts and ability.
Observing her love her husband.
Watching her with her boys – she is an amazing mom.
Continuing to enjoying her not only as my daughter, but as my friend.


While I count so many things in my life as good and perfect gifts from above, Brooke is one of those gifts in which God continues to bless me.

Thank you, Brooke, for the privilege of being your mom and for your on-going love and friendship. Happy Birthday, baby girl. I love you more than I can express.
Mom

3 comments:

Cathy said...

deb, that was so beautiful and so true. i feel so blessed to have my daughter, carrie, but not able to put it into words as eloquently as you have. i enjoy reading your sacred encounters everyday.

thank you,
cathy

Carol S. said...

Like! Praying God's blessings in abundance for you!
Carol Schmersahl

Jamie Over-Wolf said...

This is beautiful, Deb. I just saw Brooke and Sam yesterday at my new job working at the Blue Heron. :) It was a pleasant surprise.