CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 9, 2012

transition


“…true contemplation is never a mere retreat. Instead, it draws us deeper into right action by getting us more deeply in touch with the gifts that we have to give, with our need to give them, with the people and problems that need us. “

Parker Palmer

Yesterday, I shared about the need to create space in our lives for silence. In the silence we can become more attuned to the gifts God has given us and how He wants us to use those gifts in the world. This has been my journey for the last three years.
I remember the first time I sensed something was going to shift or change. I was in a staff meeting at work and those leading the meeting showed the Rob Bell Nooma DVD, Shells. In it, Bell talks about being at the ocean with his family. One of his children, who had been picking up seashells on the beach spots a starfish in the surf and asked if it was ok to go out and get it. Rob tells his son to go for it. He goes out in the surf and comes back without the starfish. This scenario repeats itself two more times and finally, Rob says, “Buddy, why aren’t you bringing the starfish back with you?” His son says, “Daddy , I can’t because my hands are filled with shells.” At that moment, my heart began to beat faster, my palms began to sweat and I knew I was either having a heart attack or God was speaking to me. Thank goodness, it was God.
Since then I have been paying attention and waiting…and waiting…and waiting. What was my starfish? What was I to pursue? And what were the shells? What was I going to need to let go of in order to hold the starfish? 1 ½ years ago, things started to come into focus.
The starfish was a spiritual formation center. It became clear to me that God was leading me to open a center here in York. That meant that the shells were representative of my position at Living Word Community Church.
So – Kavanna House opened on a part-time basis in September, 2011, and is doing very well. My position at Living Word will be ending mid-April, so that I can focus on having the center running full-time in September, 2012. It is beautiful to see God bring this dream to pass.
Kavanna House is a non-profit organization designed to offer individuals the means to move into deeper intimacy with God through contemplative practices. Kavanna is a Hebrew word meaning; intentional, awakened, mindful and devoted to prayer. We will offer classes, workshops and retreats in Christ-centered contemplative spirituality. We will also offer training for spiritual directors.
As regular readers of this blog, I sincerely hope you will check it out. In fact, the blog will soon move permanently to the website. For the next month, it will continue to run in both places. You will be able to subscribe to have it sent to your email just as you may have on the Sacred Encounters site. In addition, you can follow us on Facebook (please ‘Like’ us :0) ) and also on Twitter. Feel free to pass the links onto anyone you know who may be interested in contemplative spirituality.
You have no idea how much your support has meant to me. The emails I get from readers are such an encouragement and to know that so many of you use these thoughts in your own intentional time with God is overwhelming to me. I look forward to what God has in the future for us as we continue to seek Him, for each of our lives, as individuals, but also corporately, as the body of Christ – being light and salt to the world.

Grace and peace ~
Deb

0 comments: