CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

plans


Speaking of Mary right after finding out she was carrying the Christ-child:

“The events themselves will be her guide and teacher. She does not need to figure it out and plan accordingly, the plan will be given by God through life’s encounters. Reality is her teacher. That is why she could hear angels. And that is why she could hear Elizabeth.”

Richard Rohr, Radical Grace

I have been told that I am not strong in the area of strategic planning. This is not news to me. Begin to talk about strategy and direct outcomes and I glaze over. I use to think that it was because I was not gifted in that area and that may still be the truth. But I am coming to understand that it may be something more. Perhaps dependence on God.

My desire is not to run ahead, not to figure out what the next step is but to wait and see what step God uncovers. How does He want me to proceed? Does He want me to go left or right? Take the fork in the road or stay straight?

This passage from Richard Rohr describes beautifully how I try to listen and discern God’s leading. It does not mean that I don’t prepare – it just means that I don’t have a pre-determined outcome in mind. Remaining open to surprises helps me remain open to possibilities I might otherwise miss.

Where, in your life, might God be inviting you to allow life events be your guide? How are life’s encounters speaking to you? Pay attention and may you also hear angels.

Grace and peace,
Deb

Photo by Ambigel http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambigel/324912564/

0 comments: