CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

the move



"It is always sad when someone leaves home, unless they are simply going around the corner and will return in a few minutes with ice-cream sandwiches."

— Lemony Snicket

When my mom came for her visit in the summer of 2008, we went to see several assisted living facilities. There was one that she liked better than the rest and she put her name on the waiting list.

It wouldn’t be until the summer of 2009 that she would make a final decision to move to PA. I booked my ticket out to AZ, to spend a couple of days, before heading to York, to help her finish up packing and take care of final details - close out bank accounts, gather medical information and walk my mom through leaving the only home she had known for the past 20 years….years of independence, years of memories and years of sunshine.

She had made the decision she didn’t want to spend the last night in her home, so we made plans to stay at a hotel near the airport. I had underestimated how hard it would be for her to walk out of the door to her home for the last time and get in the car. She tried to put on a brave face but tears began to run down her cheeks. I choked back my own tears as I watched her say goodbye to all she had known for so long. Although I knew it was the right choice, I also admit to some feelings of guilt in encouraging her to do this and felt responsible for what she was feeling right now. We definitely were not going around the corner for ice cream.
I think we both put in a restless night and then boarded our flight for PA the next morning. The flight itself was uneventful (by that I mean there was no nose pinching or fish blowing). But, little did I know that would be one of last uneventful days I would have. Welcome to York, mom…..the adventure begins. To be continued…..

Grace and peace,
Deb

0 comments: